Recommendations: 1106 / Metacritic: 0
Released: May 20, 2015
Developer: Team Junkfish
Publisher: Team Junkfish
Monstrum takes the traditional survival horror formula and remixes it completely with procedurally generated levels, permadeath, and AI driven predators, ensuring that nowhere on its derelict cargo ship is ever truly safe.
Offering up a challenge to even the hardiest of gamers, Monstrum will force you to use your wits and whatever tools you can find to outrun or outsmart your pursuer. Attempt to escape from an environment that is out to kill you while evading the lurking terror that could be around any corner. Can you survive Monstrum?
Three Unique Monsters*
Face one of three monster types each play-through, each one with different behaviours and tactics. Can you work your way out of an ambush or escape a direct attack? And will the same actions work every time?
Prepare for a different gameplay environment each time you play as the ship's interior shifts shape with every run, changing the location of items along the way.
Discover different methods of escape and delve into the bowels of the ship to recover items you need to repair them.
Opportunities and Hazards
Use whatever you can find to try and outwit the monster. Hide in lockers or under furniture. Use distractions to attract the monster to you, or, perhaps more wisely, to where you've just been, but be careful not to run too fast lest you fall into one of the ships numerous traps along the way.
Death is death. Get killed in Monstrum and you'll be starting again. In a different ship, probably against a different monster. Good luck. Start running.
*Please see early access details for information on current implementation of features.
Update 1.5.0 - Trading Cards, Eye-tracking, Improved VR
May 19, 2017
It's hard to believe, but Monstrum has spent another year on the high seas - by which we mean it's our 2nd “proper” birthday! We've put together a couple of little updates for you to celebrate.
Firstly, we'll be holding a special birthday sale from Friday 19th (today!) of May to Monday 22nd of May. This weekend Monstrum, the soundtrack and the deluxe bundle will all be 80% off! So if you've been lurking this whole time waiting for an opportunity to strike, like the sneaky Hunter, now's your chance to pounce!
Secondly, we're bringing some new options into Monstrum. The game has gone without an update for a long-time due to us focusing on our second project, Attack of the Earthlings, but we thought we could manage a little something for such an important date. Some stand out additions:
- Trading Cards!
- Change direction with head look mode for VR!
- Tobii Eye-tracker compatibility
Some of these are things people have requested for a while, some we just found fun to work on. There's a full change log at the bottom, and it'll all go live later today!
And finally, we want to give a big shout-out to all of you! We're always amazed when we see how many people are still playing, and thankful for how creative and dedicated an audience we have. We love seeing your Monstrum artwork, screenshots and streams, so don't be shy about giving us an @ on [url=www.twitter.com/teamjunkfish]twitter[/url] with something you've done. In particular we'd like to shout out
">Glenn Leroi's Song and Marcel's G-Mod map for bringing the team a lot of joy this year.
Changelog – V.1.5.0
- Now available featuring never before seen artwork from Monstrum
- Includes backgrounds, badges & emoticons
- Move in direction faced mode (old mode can still be enabled in menu)
- Enable/Disable UI on arm
- Aim torch, flare-gun & thrown items with your eyes
- Pick-up and interact with items you're looking at
- Control the journal tab/note selection
- Hunter should no-longer get stuck after spawning
- Hunter should now always show up during submarine escape sequence
- Can no longer throw items while moving the trolley(s)
- Hunter traps will now only trigger when a thrown item moves past them, not if any item is within range.
- Flare gun now fires properly in all instances
Other Monstrum News
Today we at team Junkfish are over-the-moon to be announcing Attack of the Earthlings!
Monstrum - May 31, 2017
Monstrum - October 29, 2015
- Introducing "Attack of the Earthlings"
May 31, 2017
- Update 1.5.0 - Trading Cards, Eye-tracking, Improved VR
May 19, 2017
- Update V.1.4. - Unity 5, Oculus CV1 Support, Birthday Sale
May 19, 2016
- Monstrum v.1.3 now live! Oculus build now public, Halloween goodies + more!
October 29, 2015
- Monstrum v1.2.1 - Beta/Oculus hotfix now live!
October 6, 2015
- Monstrum Update v1.2 - Oculus Beta
September 25, 2015
- Monstrum OST available as DLC now!
August 20, 2015
- Monstrum v1.0.1 - Hotfix Notes
July 24, 2015
- Monstrum Mac/Linux Builds Now Available!
July 16, 2015
- Monstrum Soundtrack now available!
June 3, 2015
- Monstum v1.0 Now Live! (Bye bye Early Access!)
May 20, 2015
- Monstrum Launch Date announcement and v.0.9.5 patch notes!
May 14, 2015